Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Finding Richard in Strange and Wonderful Places

Although I was expecting to see Richard around Leicester during the week, I managed to find him in other places on my travels.
  • I found Richard at Warwick Castle, home of Richard Neville, the Kingmaker and our common ancestor. Richard once owned this castle, too.
  • I  found Richard in Coughton Court, a National Trust stately home in Warwickshire and owned by the Throckmorton Family for over 600 years. We were touring the house, learning all about this interesting Catholic family, when what did I see, but a chair purporting to have been made from the wood of the bed on which Richard spent his last night.
  • I found Richard in the window of a pie shop, with a greeting created by a fanciful shopkeeper.
  • I found Richard in the humble St. James Church in Sutton Cheney where he went to pray for battle, embroidered in a kneeler meant for my prayers, too.
  • And I found Richard on Bow Bridge, the site of his last ride out of Leicester, on the way to Bosworth field to fight his last battle. My rose joined his there in a last tribute to a brave King of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment