Thursday, March 26, 2015

Reburial of a King

Although I wasn't allowed to take pictures in the cathedral, several news media organisations were. Now the pictures and video are popping up.

Here is a compilation of photos in the Leicester Mercury. I think it captures the mood of the week well.

Also, here is a video of highlights from the ceremony in the Cathedral. I don't see me there, but you will get the feel for this tremendous occasion from it.



I think everyone there was moved by the ceremony. It will be something I won't forget.

As for Benedict Cumberbatch, he did a fine job reading the Poet Laureate's poem. But I was disappointed in the American press's take on his participation. That's what it was, participation in the ceremony. It was not the performance that they were trying to make it out to be.

Here is a CNN article about Benedict's participation. You would certainly think it was the highlight of the event. It certainly wasn't for me. It was a nice poem, but the poet herself could have read it for me and I would have appreciated it just as much. I was far more moved by the realisation that I was in the room celebrating the life and death of a King, my cousin.

And sorry, friends, Benedict is newly married.

No comments:

Post a Comment