Sunday, March 15, 2015

Requiem Mass at Holy Cross Priory

What some of you might not know is that there have been several public ballots for spots at various Richard III events during Reinterment Week.

One event that caught my eye early on was the Requiem Mass at Holy Cross Priory Church in Leicester with Cardinal Nichols. This is to be the main Catholic ceremony for Richard's repose.

Cardinal Vincent Nichols
The notice said that this ceremony, complete with the Choir from St. Barnabas' Cathedral of the Diocese of Nottingham, was open to the public. However, it was another ballot. How could I resist another chance?

On 6 March, I joyfully learned that I was again successful in another ballot and this time I would not have to go all by myself since we are allowed two tickets! The tickets look very lovely with a picture of Richard on one side, and the other with the text with the information, with a white York rose watermark.

Picture courtesy of John
This event is on Monday, 23 March at 5:00pm. We are to be in our seats at 4:30pm. I heard that this event will last a couple of hours. I can't wait to hear which setting of the music they use. I need to brush up on my Latin.

Here are some pictures of Holy Cross for you.

Exterior 
Inside showing the nave





Construction on Holy Cross Priory began in 1929 and was completed and consecrated in 1958. Its roots go back much longer. The Dominicans, who serve the Priory, reached Leicester in 1247 and thrived there. However, in 1538 the priory was surrendered to King Henry VIII's agents. The remaining friars fled to Flanders.

Eventually the Dominicans returned to Leicester, but not until nearly the late 18th century, early 19th. Holy Cross was established as a priory in 1882.

Although Holy Cross isn't an old church building, it looks quite beautiful and I can't wait to visit.

For more information about this event, you can click here.
For more information about the church, click here.

Watch for a more detailed account about this great event next week!

1 comment: