Sunday, March 15, 2015

What Does One Wear? Part Two

It was a relief to have chosen a dress. Now for the fun part of shoes and hat.

For the hat, I thought about the hats I owned. I had two very suitable cloche hats, also purchased for Downton Abbey Day at the library. They would work well enough, but  how would I get them to England without squashing them?

My husband told me that I should just wear my hat on the airplane, if I couldn't put it in my suitcase. Wouldn't I look beautiful wearing a dress hat on the airplane? And how would I sleep with it on my head? I don't think men really understand these things.

I thought about sending one of my hats over ahead of me in a box. That might work, provided it could get there in time. But what's the fun in this whole choosing an outfit experience if I only raided my closet for the bits?

A solution presented itself to me: buy a hat from a store in the UK and have it sent ahead to await my arrival.

The UK is full of wonderful hat stores. Some of the hats are big and flamboyant, and then there are the very tiny fascinator style that need to be pinned to your hair. I think I would not like those much.

Because of my dress style being more 1920's, I decided to find a cloche hat. I finally settled on two possibilities. One with a tiny little brim and one with a velvet ribbon and an asymmetrical brim.

Both hats have arrived at their destination and are awaiting my approval. I can't wait to try them on with my dress!

How will they look with glasses?

And now for shoes. I had a lovely pair of Clarks that I planned to wear, but they suffered a fatal tragedy. I learned that the material forming their sole had disintegrated and was not repairable. What should I do? I found this pair by Ecco on ebay. They are the right style and comfortable enough, although I wouldn't want walk long distances in them.




I also found a long black raincoat from L. L. Bean on ebay. Here is a picture. It has a removable hood and lining. It is very warm with the lining and will be a nice "blanket" on the airplane, too!

I wondered about being cold in the Cathedral. With my drop waist dress, selecting a sweater might be difficult. I finally decided on a black pashmina shawl. It will also fold up very small and be easy to stick in my coat pocket.

Next to figure out, jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment