Saturday, March 14, 2015

What Does One Wear?

After I was finished screaming with excitement and astonishment, my first big question to myself was:

What does one wear to a royal reinterment????!!!!

My initial letter did not give me any guidelines as to what the proper attire ought to be, so what did I do? I hopped on the internet to look at Royal funerals and special occasions. I found some good pictures.



From my initial glance at pictures, I decided that my first thought of wearing a black dress with a black hat was not out of line with what would be acceptable.

But what sort of dress and what sort of hat?

Friends with a sense of humour suggested a large hat with a big white rose, the symbol of the House of York, on the brim. Very funny. What a way to get noticed! Or to look ludicrous.

Other more sensible and serious friends suggested a small hat, possibly one with a very tiny white rose. But the style would depend on the dress.

Ok, that left me with the big question: what dress should I wear?

Suggestions from friends and family:
  • Don't wear a dress that is too short, above your knees.
  • Don't wear something that I would wear, Mom. You will look silly!
  • Wear something regal.
  • Wear something that will be warm enough. The Cathedral might be chilly.
  • Don't spend too much money on the dress. You will want to spend something on souvenirs.
Lots of suggestions but no concrete examples of dresses to try on.

Now, I am a terrible shopper. I haven't really gone clothes shopping in a regular department store for a long time, and when I do, I usually find things to think about but end up putting them back. It's a great savings trick I have!

No, my usual method of shopping for clothes for myself is to visit the thrift stores. If I don't know what I want anyway, why not go to the thrift stores and browse what's there and save money while I'm at it? We are fortunate to have some stores in town that carry nicer used, and sometimes new, clothing. That's where I have usually gone for clothes for work. I have found $200 sweaters there for under $5 and other treasures, The thrill of finding a bargain is also appealing.

Last year, I was hosting a Downton Abbey party at the library where I work. I found a new, with tags, black dress with a drop waist pleated skirt, short sleeves, and just my size. It cost $7.00. But wait! It was Half Off Day. That brought my purchase of a lovely Downton Abbey "costume" nice enough to wear elsewhere to a total of $3.50 plus tax! I did buy a hat for the party to go with the dress, and I had antique black gloves and sensible shoes to wear as I ran around serving tea and playing etiquette games.

Helen and Pam having fun at the Downton Abbey Party.
Should I wear this dress? Do I dare wear a dress that cost me $3.50 to a royal reinterment?

I decided that I should look for something else and see what my options were. This led me to dress shop after dress shop. Why are all of the dresses this year sleeveless? And short? Those wouldn't work. I found one dress that might have worked but cost nearly $200. Too much money.

After about three intense forays into stores, I gave up. I then searched the internet. I finally bought a dress to try from a company that sold more high end clothes. The dress came, I tried it on, and I packed it up to go back.

In the end, I decided that the dress I had and already knew was probably the best choice. It really is a nice dress and I received compliments on it. I feel comfortable in it. It also shouldn't wrinkle much in my suitcase. 

Having decided, I could then concentrate on the accessories of hat, shoes, and jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment